I am an Assist. Professor and Research Fellow in Philosophy at the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Theology. My recent outreach activities include being a visiting lecturer (2017) and a Fulbright research scholar (2016) at the University of Arizona, Department of Philosophy. The big research question that incites me most is the structure and phenomenology of normativity. This theme crosscuts a number of philosophical fields (ethics, epistemology, philosophy of science, aesthetics) as well as other scientific areas, in particular, cognitive science, AI, law, and psychology.
The impact of my work ranges from new and important theoretical insights into the nature of normativity (the role of moral principles in the formation of moral judgments, authority of the normative domain, epistemic agency and epistemic virtuousness) to considerations related to practical dimensions of our lives (e.g. the role of guilt and moral shame in reconciliation processes, the importance of intellectual and ethical virtues in dialogue and education, animal ethics).
My work is also reflected in applied projects with broader societal impact (international projects in the domain of ethics education in schools). The results of my research have been published in several scientific papers and chapters, as well as in five monographs: Practical Contexts (Frankfurt, 2014), Challenging Moral Particularism (New York 2008), Moral Judgment, Intuition and Moral Principles (Velenje 2009; transl. Zagreb 2019), Moral Theory. The Nature of Morality (Maribor 2016; transl. Zagreb, 2018) and Global Ethics: Perspectives on Global Justice (Berlin, 2019).
Areas (and topics) of special interest: metaethics (moral phenomenology, error theory, expressivism, intuitionism, particularism), normative ethics (models of pluralism), applied ethics (medical bioethics, ethics of public administration, ethics and public policy), epistemology (contextualism), history of philosophy (Slovene phenomenological tradition), legal philosophy, logic and argumentation.
Global Ethics. Perspectives on Global Justice (Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2019) Order here!
Moralna teorija. O naravi moralnosti 〈Moral Theory. The Nature of Morality〉 (Aristej, Maribor 2016) Buy! / Croatian translation: Moralna teorija. O prirodi moralnosti (Naklada Lara, Zagreb, 2018) Buy!
Moralne sodbe, intuicija in moralna načela 〈Moral Judgment, Intuition and Moral Principles〉 (IPAK, Velenje 2009); Croatian translation: Moralni sudovi, intuicija i moralna načela, Zagreb: Naklada Lara, 2019 (Buy!).
Challenging Moral Particularism (Routledge, New York 2008)
Practical Contexts (Ontos-Verlag, Frankfurt 2004)
• Faculty of Arts and Humanities (University of Ljubljana): Logic and argumentation (BA), Moral theory (BA), Moral philosophy (BA), Ethics and moral theory (MA)
• Faculty of Theology (University of Ljubljana): Moral theory (PhD)
• Academy of Music (University of Ljubljana): Aesthetics (BA);
• European Faculty of Law in Nova Gorica: Legal philosophy and legal theory (MA);
• Faculty of Government and European Studies: Ethics in public administration (BA), Philosopical and social aspects of churches, religious communities and freedom of religion (BA), Ethics and public policy (MA).
Reviewer: Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, Acta Analytica, Synthesis Philosophica, Filozofska istraživanja, Annales, Revus, Analiza, Dignitas, etc.
Selected papers (only works in English)
• Core and Ancillary Epistemic Virtues (with Terry Horgan in Matjaž Potrč), Acta Analytica, 2018.
• “Phenomenological Objectivity and Moral Theory”, Synthesis Philosophica, 2014, 29(1), pp. 159-173.
• “Global justice and agents of hospitality”. Annales, Series historia et sociologia, 2015, 25(2), pp. 253-262,
• “Moral dilemmas and vagueness”, Acta Analytica, 2013, 28(2), pp. 207-222.
• “Legal positivism and the defeasibility of legal norms”, Dignitas, 2013, 59/60, pp. 219-234.
• “Raz on reasons, principles and guiding”, Dignitas, 2011, 49/50, pp. 118-131.
• “Corporations as agents of global justice”, in J. Černič Letnar & T. van Ho (eds), Human rights and business: direct corporate accountability for human rights, Oisterwijk: Wolf Legal Publishers, 2015, pp. 161-178.
• “The difficulty of animal question”, Poligrafi – Living with Consequences, 2013, 18(69/70), pp. 135-158.
• “Globalization, Globalized Ethics and Moral Theory”, Synthesis Philosophica, 48 (2/2009), pp. 209-218.
• “Moral dilemmas, conflict of duties and intuitionist notion of prima facie duty”, v: J. Juhant in B. Žalec (eds) Person and Good, Münster: Lit Verlag, pp. 241–53.
• “Meinongian Scorekeeping“, Meinong Studien (Alexious-Meinong Institut, Graz; Alfred Schramm (ed.), 2005), Vol. 1. Band 1. pp. 309-330.
• “Ethics, science and naturalism: Virtue ethics meets social psychology”, v: J. Juhant, B. Žalec (eds) On Cultivating Faith and Science – Reflections on Two Key Topics of Modern Ethics, Lit-Verlag: Berlin 2007, pp. 203-21.
• “Justification in Context“, Acta Analytica, Spring 2005, 20(2), pp. 91-104.
• “The Riddle of aesthetic principles“, Acta Analytica 2004, 33, pp. 189-208.
• “Metaphysics: Ultimate and Regional Ontology”, Inf. Filosofica, I/2004, 1, pp. 21-45.
PhilPapers – My Works